Monday, June 11, 2012

And a Little Child Shall Lead Them



And a Little Child Shall Lead Them - Boyd K. Packer


"One of the great discoveries of parenthood is that we learn far more about what really matters from our children than we ever did from our parents. We come to recognize the truth in Isaiah’s prophecy that “a little child shall lead them.” ”


I have definitely found this to be true. I learned a lot from my parents, but my children are helping me to learn, grow, and develop so much more. I have been stretched to my limits and forced to figure out what is really important in life. Having kids forces me to be active and not just sit back and passively observe. Although I don't really enjoy being a leader, I am responsible for my children and I have to do my best to guide them and be an example for them. Having that responsibility has really helped me to push myself, even if I feel like I'm barely keeping up with them.


"Our parents served faithfully in their most important calling—as parents. Our father led our home in righteousness, never with anger or fear. And the powerful example of our father was magnified by the tender counsel of our mother. The gospel is a powerful influence in the life of every one of us in the Packer family and to the next generation and the next generation and the next, as far as we have seen."


I also enjoyed Pres. Packer's thoughts on the importance of the family. He mentions that his parents did not have prominent callings in the church and his father might even be considered less active. But his parents lived the gospel at home. What happens at home is more important than what happens at church or anywhere else.

No comments:

Post a Comment