Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Unspotted from the World

I was inspired by this article in the July 2012 Enisgn. Julie Thompson describes her experience when she was assigned to help clean the temple.
"Our group was led to a small chapel for a devotional. The custodian who conducted the devotional said something that will forever change the way I look at temple cleaning assignments. After welcoming us, he proceeded to explain that we were not there to clean things that didn’t need cleaning but to keep the Lord’s house from ever becoming dirty. As stewards of one of the most sacred places on earth, we had a responsibility to keep it spotless.
That night in the temple, I studied the paintbrush in my hand and asked myself, “What are the little crevices in my life that need more attention?” I resolved that rather than plan to repeatedly clean the areas of my life that needed attention, I would try harder never to let them become dirty."
I love the shift in focus from cleaning up after our mistakes to keeping ourselves from becoming dirty. All those little things like prayer, scripture study, and FHE need to be consistent so that we can keep ourselves unspotted from the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment